BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, 21 August 2011

Booze infused apples (hic!)

I do hate having left over alcohol. I had a few bottles that were taking up space with dregs unworthy to be considered a measure. I also hate the taste of Rum (please do not ask why I had a bottle of it because I don't know myself) so it was a pleasure to clear the space of that particular beverage. 


I have finally used up the remainder of the apples from my my grandparent's apple tree.  Instead of making the schnapps, I made apple filling which would suit a pie or a crumble. However, it is so versatile and delicious that I will not be limiting its use to this: I have already made up a tub of booze infused apple and yoghurt for my lunch at work tomorrow. 


Here is my recipe (please excuse the absence or approximate measurements- I went into a mad professor haze whilst making this!)




Ingredients:
Apples
Brown Sugar
Lemon Juice
Left over alcohol- I used a little gin and about 3 measures of rum.
Mixed spice
Warm water
The juice and zest of an orange
Cloves.




  1. Wash and de-core all of your apples. You can peel them if you feel inclined. 
  2. Chop them into smallish chunks and add to a large bowl.
  3. Pour over some lemon juice- approx. 5 table spoons and your left over booze and some sugar to taste
  4. Add zest and juice of the orange and the spices.
  5. Add warm water to cover the apples
  6. Cover with cling-film and place in the fridge to infuse overnight.
  7. In the morning, place your fruit mix into a large pan ( I used a slow cooker) and simmer on a low heat until the apples become soft and mushy.
  8. Wait to cool and serve with yoghurt or ice cream, or add pastry for a pie, or crumble topping!
Now I must warn you that these apples are despicably tasty. As they have been cooked I am sure the alcohol will have been burnt off, but still exercise caution if you do end up eating 20 portions in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment